CO BIKES ARE BACK
ON THE STREETS OF EXETER!
- Co Bikes celebrates return to Exeter with launch and city centre ride
- In total, just under 100 electric bikes rolling to 14 stations around the city
- Five existing stations have now reopened with a further five opening shortly
- New stations announced at Heavitree High St, Cranbrook & Pinhoe Station
- Funding secured by Devon County Council via DfT & developer contributions
- Hire bikes using
nextbikeapp for £1/20 mins or £24/day (8-24 hour hires)1
- Successful app registrations in with a chance to win a year’s free cycling2
Co Bikes, the UK’s first electric on-street bike hire scheme, today officially celebrated its return to Exeter’s streets with a launch and city centre ride through.
Guests were invited to County Hall where the first 25 of the brand new bikes were lined up prior to being deployed at stations around the city. A number of guests then joined Co Bikes representatives for a bike ride through city centre locations including Princesshay and the High Street. Here, they attracted lots of attention from lunchtime shoppers and office workers.
The bikes were then returned to County Hall ready for distribution to the first five of the stations to reopen. These
Mark Hodgson, Managing Director of Co Bikes, also used the event to announce the first of Co Bikes’ new stations. These
The expansion of the Co Bikes scheme is possible due to a partnership with Devon County Council who secured external funding from the Department for Transport’s National Productivity Investment Fund (NPIF) and developer contributions from new residential developments in Exeter. Together, these have helped to deliver the new sites and improve infrastructure at existing sites.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member with responsibility for cycling, said: “I’m delighted that, through our funding partnership, Devon County Council has been able to support Co Bikes’ return and expansion across the city.
“By giving people more sustainable travel choices we are helping to improve the environment for all of us and I look forward to seeing this scheme continue to grow around Exeter and other locations in Devon.”
Mark Hodgson added: “We were the first on-street electric bike hire scheme in the country and are still the largest one out there in the UK. Of course, being a pioneer at anything is not without its challenges and I’d like to personally thank Devon County Council for their ongoing belief and support in what we’ve set out to achieve.
“Co Bikes are perfect the perfect solution for urban journeys as riders can tackle the toughest of hills without breaking into a sweat. This means they are ideal for commuters,
“We are also unique in that Co Bikes are designed to work alongside our hire-by-the-hour Co Cars to deliver an affordable and sustainable shared mobility network. This network helps create space for people by reducing the need for private car ownership and the associated pollution and congestion.”
Co Bikes are powered by
“Electric bikes are a great way to open up cycling for people who might not feel confident enough on standard bikes or want to travel across the city easily and we’re sure the scheme will be well-received.”
Co Bikes can be hired using the
Co Bikes is part of Co Cars, the car club for people, communities and businesses across Exeter and the South West. In Exeter, Co Cars currently has nearly 30 cars available to hire from as little as half an hour. Together, the cars and bikes form an economical, equitable and sustainable network of shared transport options to help reduce the dependence on private car ownership.
2Prize draw promotion terms and conditions
Please read the following terms carefully as you will be deemed to have accepted them if you participate:
- The draw is open to anyone aged 18 or over who downloads the
nextbikeapp and registers for an account to use Co Bikes in Exeter
- No purchase is necessary as the
nextbikeapp is free to download and register for an account. However, in order to use Co Bikes, a valid card must be associated with the account. To verify validity, a £10 credit deposit will be made to the card to be redeemed against Co Bikes trips
- Entries for the draw close at midnight on 30 September 2019, winners to be notified by phone and/or email by midnight 11 October 2019
- Winners to confirm acceptance of prize no later than midnight 18 October 2019. If acceptance has not been received, Co Bikes reserves the right to select alternative winners
- First prize winner to receive 12 months (52 weeks) of free use of the Co Bikes
on streetelectric bike hire scheme in Exeter and 10 runners up to receive one month (4 weeks) of free use of the Co Bikes on streetelectric bike hire scheme in Exeter, after which standard pricing will apply
- The free cycling offer only applies to the first bike hired through the winning account, any additional bikes hired will be charged at the standard pricing rate
- The free cycling offer is only valid for Co Bikes in Exeter, all other
nextbikeschemes will be charged at the standard rate
- Any personal data relating to entrants will be used solely for the purposes of this promotion and will not be disclosed to a third party for any other purpose without the individual’s prior consent